* psychology : Psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and the reasons for people’s behaviour.
* definition : A definition is a statement giving the meaning of a word or expression, especially in a dictionary.
* predict : If you predict an event, you say that it will happen.
* phenomenon : A phenomenon is something that is observed to happen or exist.
* resist : If you resist someone or resist an attack by them, you fight back against them.
* tranquility : Something that is tranquil is calm and peaceful.
* constriction : Constrictions are rules or factors which limit what you can do and prevent you from doing what you want to do
Our topic of presentation is psychology.
The definition of psychology is the study of the mind, via the study of behavior.
The five basic goals of psychology are describe, explain, predict, control and improve.
We introduce one of psychological phenomenon.
The bystander effect is a social psychological phenomenon in which people do not help a victim even though many people are around. The more people there are, the less likely they are to help. An example of bystander effect is Kitty Genovese. Please watch the video.
In 1964, In the USA, Kitty Genovese was killed. At that time, she shouted and resisted an attack. So, 38 people saw that horrid sight. But no one help her. Why did such a thing happen? Because of group mentality. That is “Another people will help her! Not me!”
We going to introduce a psychological phenomenon about color.
There is a blue room and a red room. When people think that 20minutes have passed, they ask to leave the room. People in the red room get out after an average of 16 minutes. But people in the blue room get out after an average of 21minutes. It’s because red color causes excitement, anxiety and a feeling of constriction and blue color means silence, peace and tranquility.
1. Do you know other psychological phenomenon?
2. lf you had seen Genovese’s murder, would you help Genovese?
3. Have you experienced of bystander effect?
Class 90, Group 8
김 대은 12121916
박 나라 12122738
This vocabulary will be on Written Test #2:
1. tranquil: (adjective) calm and peaceful
[tranquility: (noun) calmness and peacefulness]
2. resist: (verb) to fight back against a person or an attack
3. predict: (verb) to say that an event will happen
This discussion question will be on the Final Speaking Test:
If you had seen Kitty Genovese’s murder, would you have helped her?