Hello. My name is Richard Stansfield. It will be my pleasure to be your English instructor for the next 15 weeks.
Level: Track 3; Semester 1
Duration: 15 weeks (We do not meet in Week #16.)
Text Book: Touchstone 2 or Touchstone 2A (blue cover; must have CD)
* Do not buy a used book! Buy a new book.
12:00 to 12:50 – class 121
1:00 to 2:50 – class 90
9:00 to 10:50 – class 28
1:00 to 2:50 – class 152
9:00 to 10:50 – class 59
1:00 to 2:50 – class 121
11:00 to 11:50 – class 28
12:00 to 12:50 – class 90
11:00 to 11:50 – class 59
12:00 to 12:50 – class 152
Monday, 12:00 to 12:50 // Wednesday, 1:00 to 2:50
Monday, 1:00 to 2:50 // Thursday, 12:00 to 12:50
Tuesday, 9:00 to 10:50 // Thursday, 11:00 to 11:50
Tuesday, 1:00 to 2:50 // Friday, 12:00 to 12:50
Wednesday, 9:00 to 11:50 // Friday, 11:00 to 11:50
Cell-phones and iPads
At the beginning of class, I ask every student to put their cell-phones in a bag. You can have them back at the end of class. If I see someone using a cell-phone in class, I will ask for it and give it back one hour after the end of class.
You can use a tablet computer (such as an iPad) in class. (I use one myself.) However, you must use them for learning and class work. Do not use them to play games, chat on Kakao Talk, etc.
Sleeping in Class
Don’t do it. It’s very rude (impolite). If you sleep in class, I will ask you to do one of two things:
1. Wake up and stay awake.
… or …
2. Please leave my class.
Weeks 1 to 7: listening and speaking > reading and writing
Weeks 9 to 14: speaking > listening and writing
* 3 hours per week
* 1 unit per 2 weeks (approximately)
Wednesday, April 24th (Week #8)
Friday, May 17th (Week #11)
Thursday, June 6th (Week #14)
* Changing Tracks (e.g. Track 3 to Track 2)
from Monday, March 4th to Wednesday, March 6th, 4 pm, at University English (UE) office, 5남434B (Week #1)
* Changing Classes Within a Track
(from one Track 3 class to another Track 3 class)
Friday, March 8th, 5 pm (Week #1)
(must do it on-lne, through the portal site: http://portal.inha.ac.kr/ )
* Attendance counting towards marks
– Monday, March 11th (Week #2)
– will be taking pictures from then on
* “I give up.”
– Week #10 (from Monday, May 6th to Friday, May 10th)
* Written Test 1 (Week 7)
Class 121 –> Wednesday, April 17th
Class 28 –> Thursday, April 18th
Class 90 –> Thursday, April 18th
Class 59 –> Friday, April 19th
Class 152 –> Friday, April 19th
* Mid-term exam
Week 8 (Monday, April 22nd to Friday, April 26th)
* Written Test 2 (Week 14)
Class 90 –> Monday, June 3rd
Class 28 –> Tuesday, June 4th
Class 121 –> Wednesday, June 5th
Class 59 –> Friday, June 7th
Class 152 –> Friday, June 7th
* make appointment for Oral Final (speaking test): in Week 14 (Monday, June 3rd to Friday, June 7th)
* Oral Final (speaking test)
Week 15 (Monday, June 10th to Friday, June 14th)
20%: Mid-term exam (Listening; based on Touchstone text book, Chapters 1 to 3)
80%: English course
= your mark
(20% + 80% = 100%)
English Course: 10% (Attendance) + 10% (Participation) + 30% (Assessments) + 30% (Speaking Test) = 80%
– 12 hours absent = Fail (F)
– 3 lates = 1 absent
– 20 minutes late = absent
– sleeping in class = absent
– using cell-phone = absent
– forget pen/pencil, textbook, notebook, or folder = late
* 4 Acceptable Excuses for Absences (all require documentation):
1. went to the hospital
You must have one of these:
– doctor’s note
– symptoms, written in English
– medicine prescription, written in English
2. family member died
3. military service (e.g. physical examination)
4. You have a job already (not a job interview or a job offer).
–> You must bring me documents that I can keep.
* Unacceptable Excuses for Absences:
– everything else (I don’t care about “membership training” (MTs), school festivals, etc.
participation = being active, not passive
* Pay attention .
* Take notes.
* Speak in English, and speak in complete sentences
* Discussion questions are not a race; they are practice.
* Leaving a comment on a blog post can be a bonus.
* If I have to ask you to not sit in the back of the classroom, that can be a penalty.
Participation is important in every class. However, sometimes I will have a “participation day.” On “participation days” I will pay more attention to participation.
* Presentation (entries into this blog)
* Written Tests # 1 and 2
Presentation (10%) + Written Test 1 (10%) + Written Test 2 (10%) = 30%
– You can lose marks if you don’t do homework.
Example of homework: Pages 72 and 73, Exercise 1, Part C.
30%: Oral Final (speaking test)
* Do not miss any of your tests. If you do, you might fail (get an F).
* class rules:
– No sleeping in class. (= absent)
– Set cell-phone to vibrate. Do not send or read text messages. (= absent)
– Don’t sit in the back of the classroom. Sit near the front, near me. (= penalty on participation)
– always bring:
1. pen or pencil and eraser
2. text book (Touchstone 2)
3. note book (ringed is better)
4. folder (to hold handouts; handouts = Konglish “print”)
– make sure that you have given an e-mail address to the school.
Not following these rules will make you lose marks.
20-to-30% –> 80 to 72 points / 80
30-to-40% –> 71 to 64 points / 80
30-to-50% –> 63 to 0 points / 80
This is based upon student rankings. So, if you want your mark to be changed, you must have a good reason (e.g. Was there a mistake?). If a student goes up, then another student must go down. I won’t do that. If you want a good mark, then study hard.
* Office: 5남243
* Telephone Number: (032) 860-8859
You must give an e-mail address to the school.
Do not send an e-mail to my Inha e-mail account, because I rarely check it. (My Inha e-mail account is very slow, clumsy, and inefficient, so I hate it.)
How To Contact Me
Do not send an e-mail to my Inha account. Leave a comment here, at this website.
1. Go to leave a comment.
2. Under “Leave a Reply”, write your message. Include your class number.
3. Write your e-mail address. (Only I will see it. Other people will not see it.)
4. Write your name.
5. Click on “Post comment.”