Hello. My name is Richard Stansfield. It will be my pleasure to be your English instructor for the next 15 weeks.
(Notice the “L” between Richard and Stansfield.)
Level: Track 3; Semester 1
Duration: 15 weeks (We do not meet in Week #16.)
Text Book: Touchstone 2 or Touchstone 2B (blue cover; must have CD)
* Do not buy a used book!
Buy a new book!
11:00 to 11:50 — Class 57
13:00 to 14:50 — Class 87
9:00 to 10:50 — Class 27
12:00 to 12:50 — Class 147
9:00 to 10:50 — Class 57
13:00 to 14:50 — Class 117
11:00 to 11:50 — Class 27
12:00 to 12:50 — Class 87
11:00 to 11:50 — Class 117
13:00 to 14:50 — Class 147
* Monday, 11:00 to 11:50
* Wednesday, 9:00 to 10:50
* Monday, 13:00 to 14:50
* Thursday, 12:00 to 12:50
* Tuesday, 9:00 to 10:50
* Thursday, 11:00 to 11:50
* Tuesday, 12:00 to 12:50
* Friday, 13:00 to 14:50
* Wednesday, 13:00 to 14:50
* Friday, 11:00 to 11:50
Cell-phones and iPads
At the beginning of class, I ask every student to put their cell-phones in a bag. You can have them back at the end of class. If I see someone using a cell-phone in class, I will ask for it and give it back one hour after the end of class.
You can use a tablet computer (such as an iPad) in class. (I use one myself.) However, you must use them for learning and class work. Do not use them to play games, chat on Kakao Talk, etc.
Sleeping in Class
Don’t do it. It’s very rude (impolite). If you sleep in class, I will ask you to do one of two things:
1. Wake up and stay awake.
… or …
2. Please leave my class.
* 3 hours per week
* 1 unit per 2 weeks (approximately)
Weeks 1 to 7:
* Units 1, 2, and 3
* Focus on listening to prepare for the Mid-term Exam
Weeks 9 to 14:
* Units 4, 5, and 6
* Focus on Conversation Strategies (e.g. how to start a conversation) to prepare for the Final Exam
* Monday, May 5th (Week 10)
* Tuesday, May 6th (Week 10)
* Friday, June 6th (Week 14)
* Changing Tracks (e.g. Track 3 to Track 2)
from Monday, March 3rd to Wednesday, March 5th, at the Institute of General Education office, 5남434B
* Changing Classes Within a Track
(from one Track 3 class to another Track 3 class)
Friday, March 7th, until midnight (12:00 am)
(must do it on-lne, through the portal site: http://portal.inha.ac.kr/ )
* Attendance counting towards marks
– Monday, September 9
– will be taking pictures from then on
* Mid-term exam
* “I give up.”
– Week #10
Written Test #1
– the second class in Week 7, exact dates TBA (To Be Announced)
Written Test #2
– the second class in Week 14, exact dates TBA (To Be Announced)
* make appointment for Oral Final (speaking test): in Week 14
* Final Exam (speaking test)
20%: Mid-term exam (Listening; based on Touchstone text book, Chapters 1 to 3)
80%: English course
= your mark
(20% + 80% = 100%)
English Course: 10% (Attendance) + 10% (Participation) + 30% (Assessments) + 30% (Speaking Test) = 80%
– 12 hours absent = Fail (F)
– 3 lates = 1 absent
– 20 minutes late = absent
– sleeping in class = absent
– using cell-phone = absent
– forget pen/pencil, textbook, notebook, or folder = late
* 4 Acceptable Excuses for Absences (all require documentation):
1. went to the hospital
You must have a valid, official doctor’s note.
2. family member died
3. military service (e.g. physical examination)
4. You have a job already (not a job interview or a job offer).
–> You must bring me documents that I can keep.
* Unacceptable Excuses for Absences:
– everything else (I don’t care about “membership training” (MTs), school festivals, etc.
* Education majors who are doing a teaching internship must inform me and provide documents
participation = being active, not passive
* Pay attention .
* Take notes.
* Speak in English, and speak in complete sentences
* Discussion questions are not a race; they are practice.
* Leaving a comment on a blog post can be a bonus.
* If I have to ask you to not sit in the back of the classroom, that can be a penalty.
I will carry yellow, red, and green cards. If you receive a green card, you receive points on participation. If you receive a yellow card (bad) or red card (very bad), you will lose points on participation.
* Presentation (entries into this blog)
* Written Tests # 1 and 2
Presentation (10%) + Written Test 1 (10%) + Written Test 2 (10%) = 30%
– You can lose marks if you don’t do homework. (I don’t care if you make many mistakes –what is important is to do the homework and learn from your mistakes.)
Example of homework: Pages 72 and 73.
30%: Final Exam (speaking test)
* Do not miss any of your tests. If you do, you might fail (get an F).
* class rules:
– No sleeping in class. (= absent)
– Set cell-phone to vibrate. Put your cell-phones in the bag at the beginning of class.
– Don’t sit in the back of the classroom. Sit near the front, near me. (= penalty on participation)
– always bring:
1. pen or pencil and eraser
2. text book (Touchstone 2)
3. note book (ringed is better)
4. folder (to hold handouts; handouts = Konglish “print”)
* Be sure to give an e-mail address to the school! If you didn’t, go to the Institute of General Education office, 5남434B.
If you don’t give an e-mail address to the school, I will mark you absent every class!
20-to-30% –> 80 to 72 points / 80
30-to-40% –> 71 to 64 points / 80
30-to-50% –> 63 to 0 points / 80
This is based upon student rankings. So, if you want your mark to be changed, you must have a good reason (e.g. Was there a mistake?). If a student goes up, then another student must go down. I won’t do that. If you want a good mark, then study hard.
* Office: 5남242
* Telephone Number: (032) 860-8858
Do not send an e-mail to my Inha e-mail account, because I rarely check it. (My Inha e-mail account is very slow, clumsy, and inefficient, so I hate it.)
How To Contact Me
Do not send an e-mail to my Inha account. Leave a comment here, at this website.
1. Go to leave a comment.
2. Under “Leave a Reply”, write your message. Include your class number.
3. Write your e-mail address. (Only I will see it. Other people will not see it.)
4. Write your name.
5. Click on “Post comment.”