Page 82, Exercise 1, Part C
1. How does Martin arrange the cans in his cupboard?
He arranges the cans with the vegetables in one section and the fruits in another and with the big ones in the back and the small ones in the front.
2. Why does Charlotte wash the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher?
Charlotte washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher because the dishwasher doesn’t work very well. It always leaves the glasses dirty.
3. What does Lucia iron?
Lucia irons everything: her jeans, her socks, and her curtains.
4. What does Manas do with the containers he saves?
Manas uses pizza boxes for picnic trays in the summer.
Page 87, Exercise 3, Part B
1. I was reading a book on the train, and I missed my stop.
2. Last night when I was washing the dishes, I broke a glass.
3. I was texting a friend of mine, and I tripped and fell on the street.
4. Yesterday when I was using my computer, it suddenly crashed.
Page 90, Exercise 1, Part D
Page 91, Exercise 2
1. B: Oh, no! I bet she was embarrassed.
2. B: Oh, I bet you weren’t too happy with yourself.
3. B: Oh, no. I bet you freaked.
Page 91, Exercise 3, Part A
1. b. Oh, I bet.
2. b. Nice.
3. a. It’s easy to do.
4. a. I bet.
5. a. I bet that he was pretty upset.
Page 92, Exercise 1, Part B
What bad thing happened to each person? Did their stories have happy endings?
She slipped and dropped her camera in the lake. She lost all her photos and she also sprained her ankle.
Her story had a happy ending because she won a new camera.
Her scooter broke down. She couldn’t afford to fix it, and she had to take the bus to college everyday.
Her story had a happy ending because she met a great guy at the bus stop. They married and they now have a family.
Chin-ho was helping his friend move boxes into his apartment and he hurt his back. He had to go to the emergency room.
His story doesn’t have a happy ending. He had to get painkillers for his back. His friend got a job, though, and moved out of Chin-ho’s apartment.
Page 93, Exercise 1, Part C
1. False –
2. False –
she sent– her friend sent